Wednesday, August 13, 2014

More on opening of WWI exhibit, Shilo, August 4, 2014

I was invited to open the WWI exhibit at the Royal 
Canadian Artillery Museum at CFB Shilo, Manitoba.
 I stayed with the Museum’s mastermind and retiring head, 
Major (Ret’d ) Marc George, and his wife, Caryl.
The exhibit was curated by the new acting head of 
the Museum, Kathleen Christensen
... and film-maker to be, Nicholas Simonds (Great Grandson of 
General Guy Simonds), filmed the whole proceedings.  
Excerpts can be seen on my website.
After a short ceremony, we lined up for the ribbon cutting:
Mr. Larry Maguire, Member of Parliament Brandon-Souris
Honourary Colonel Rick Felstead, Chair of Museum Board of Directors
Paul Almond, Guest of Honour
Marc George, Director RCA Museum
Lieutenant-Colonel Stephen Joudrey, 
Base Commander Canadian Forces Base Shilo
Mr. Terry Goertzen, Manitoba Deputy Minister of Tourism, 
Culture, Heritage, Sport and Consumer Protection
I cut the ribbon.
Afterwards, we chatted happily.
I signed many books, especially this one for the Hon Colonel.
 I was honoured the Base Commander had his picture with me.
The Local Federal MP, Larry Maguire, bought a book
...as did the pretty Mayor of Brandon, Shari Decter Hirst.
Then Marc took me on a tour of the museum, and we stood by a howitzer
...such as the one fired by my father, Lieut Eric Almond.
The Museum Exhibit honoured him with 
a book plate in each sold book.























No comments:

Post a Comment